Over 100 Rebels Who Fled Sangin Killed In Zheri
More than 100 militants have been killed during an operation launched about two weeks ago in the Zheri district of southern Kandahar province, an official said on Saturday.
Zia Durrani, a spokesman for the Kandahar police headquarters, told Pajhwok Afghan News that security forces were still busy clearing landmines and countering isolated attacks by the militants.
The operation in Zheri district was launched on July 24 following coordinated attacks on various security check posts by groups of armed militants.
Durrani said over 250 militants had entered Zheri from Maiwand district fleeing an ongoing operation in neighboring Helmand’s Sangin district. Some 108 of them have been killed, 50 injured and 28 captured alive so far, he claimed.
He said security forces lost eight men, including four soldiers and four policemen, to the clashes in Zheri. The police spokesman said three civilians, including a child, had also been killed during the fighting.
Dawa Khan Minapal, the acting spokesman for the provincial government, claimed a large number of foreign militants fought alongside local comrades in Kandahar. He added the dead bodies of militants had been released to the International Red Cross for handover to their respective families.
Fazal Muhammad Ishaqzoy, the district chief of neighboring Panjwai district, said security forces had been put on high alert to thwart possible attacks by insurgents.
Locals in Zheri said militants had emplaced hundreds of landmines on routes in the district, preventing them from going to their fields.
Zheri is an agricultural district lying near the Kandahar-Herat highway in the west. Once a stronghold of militants, the security situation in the town has improved to a greater extent following a military operation