You Are Here: Home » Civilian Casualties » Death toll in militant attack rises to 30 in NE India

Death toll in militant attack rises to 30 in NE India

 

militant attack in india

MUMBAI — At least seven more bodies were found in Northeast Indian state of Assam on Saturday morning, bringing number of victims killed by militant attacks in the province in the last 36 hours to 30, local media reported.

All the victims are Muslim residents. The bodies were found in Baksa district.

According to news channel Times Now, indefinite curfew has been clamped in Baksa district and army has also been called in to take control of the situation.

Khagen Sarma, director general of the Assam Police said militants of the anti-talks faction of the National Democratic Front of Boroland (NDFB) were behind the killings.

Till last night, 23 bodies had been recovered, including those of children and women.

At least 14 others were seriously injured in attacks by heavily armed NDFB militants in two communally-sensitive districts of Kokrajhar and Baksa.

On Friday night, 12 bullet-ridden bodies, including those of five women and a child, were recovered from Nankekhadrabari and Nayanguri villages in Baksa district, police officials said.

Thursday night, 11 persons were killed on the spot in three separate militant attacks in the state’s Kokrajhar district.

Ethnic clashes are common in Bodo-dominated districts. Many people have been killed over the past years in the violence by the Bodo militants fighting for a separate state of Bodoland, carved out of Assam.

Leave a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Afghanistan Express Daily - All Rights Reserved.

Scroll to top