7 Killed, 21 Wounded In Kabul Suicide Attacks
At least seven security personnel were killed and more than 20 others wounded in two separate suicide attacks in Kabul on Wednesday, a day after the signing of a security pact with the United States.
Brig. Gen. Humayun Aini, in charge of the police helpline, told Pajhwok Afghan News seven Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were killed and 15 others wounded when one bomber targeted their bus in Karta-i-Char area.
Moments later, another three soldiers were wounded in a separate suicide attack in Tarakhel neighbourhood of Deh Sabz district. Crime branch chief Brig. Gen. Farid Afzali said the ANA bus came under suicide attack near the Engineering University.
Security forces reached the scene soon after the rush-hour bombing and cordoned off the area. He said the attack was currently under investigation and more details would be released later on.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) confirmed the two suicide attacks. Seven security personnel had been killed and 15 others wounded. One army officer and two civilians were wounded in the second incident.
But another security official, who did not want to be named, said six people were wounded in the second attack.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah, claimed responsibility for the suicide attacks and said several security personnel had been killed and wounded in the 3rd police district attack. He added tens of officers had been wounded in the Deh Sabz suicide attack.
The attacks came a day Afghanistan signed the Bilateral Security Agreement with the US, allowing a residual American force to stay in the country after the end of 2014.Also on Tuesday, a status of forces agreement (SOFA) was inked with NATO.
The Taliban have denounced both pacts as a step to give foreigners an excuse for prolonging their occupation of Afghanistan. Dubbing the new rulers as Western puppets, they vowed to fight till the enforcement of an Islamic system.