You Are Here: Home » Afghanistan » 150 houses being built for landslide victims

150 houses being built for landslide victims

150 homes being built for landslide victims

A project has been launched to construct 150 houses for families who lost their homes in the massive landslide in the Argo district of southeastern Badakhshan province, an official said on Saturday.

The affected families continue to live in tents without basic amenities despite an inpouring of aid from foreign organisations. At least 400 people had died in the landslide on May 2.

Abdul Azim told Pajhwok Afghan News the children of his brother and sister, who both died in the disaster, were at risk of dying from exposure in the extremely cold weather if the houses weren’t built quickly.

However, Rural Rehabilitation and Development Minister Wais Barmak said that construction work on 150 residential buildings had been launched on Friday and would take two months to complete.

Barmak said India had donated $1 million to support the housing project’s implementation. Each building would cost $5,200 and would have two rooms, a kitchen and a bathroom.

Barmak said the 150 surviving families struggling in the worst conditions would be placed in the housing under current construction.  He said that more housing would be constructed in the future for the remaining families.

He added relocating and providing housing for another 800 families regarded as vulnerable to landslides was on the agenda as well.

Leave a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Afghanistan Express Daily - All Rights Reserved.

Scroll to top