12 Dead in Farah Court Attack
FARAH – A dozen people were killed and 86 others wounded in a well-coordinated insurgent assault on a crowded court in western Farah province on Wednesday, officials said. Five of the assailants were killed as of 4pm, while a sixth was still putting up resistance, one official said. Seventy-one civilians, 13 policemen and soldiers, two judges and one prisoner are among the injured.
But Farah Civil Hospital Director Dr. Abdul Hakim Rassouli confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News receiving the bodies of a policeman, a soldier and two civilians. He believed the toll could be higher. Abdur Rahman Zhwandai, the governor’s spokesman, said three policemen, one soldier and three residents were killed in the audacious bomb-gun attack on the building that house several other departments.
Lt. Gen. Aqa Noor Kentos, the provincial police chief, said eight policemen and 56 civilians had been wounded in the attack involving six suicide bombers in Afghan army uniforms. Two militants, who got down Afghan army pick-ups, were killed when their own explosives went off, said the police chief. Four other bombers rushed into the building after the blast.
During a subsequent clash with security forces, three of the attackers were shot dead and a third wounded, he said, adding some Taliban detainees were due to appear before the court. Mohammad Amin, an area resident, said initially the attackers detonated their explosives-laden vehicle. A short while after the explosion, they forced their way into the compound. As usual, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman for the group, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, said 20 government officials had been killed and many others wounded. (PAN)